Sunday, July 01, 2007

Huge Breakthrough!

I finally had a huge breakthrough! I've been trying for a couple weeks now to figure out the best way to set up my iPAQ. I had a really good system working on my Palm pilot and I wanted to continue that same functionality as my old one. I've been downloading various programs and add ons to try to get everything to sync the way I want it without spending thousands of hours re-entering everything I'd already set up.

For my tasks, I still don't like how it's set up on my iPAQ default software. I will definitely be looking for a replacement for that. But, it'll have to wait until I've got a memory card in there to store all my info because that's taking up a surprising amount of room (and I haven't even completely transferred all my info over yet). But, I finally have all my basic tasks and lists transferred over to my iPAQ in categories. It's still a bit of a pain in the but to view tasks on the iPAQ, but I'll be on the lookout for a more user friendly alternative.

For my appointments, I was looking for something that would also sync with my Google calendars. I already have most of my social engagements, all our monthly payments, most birthdays and holidays, and my husband's hockey schedule set up with google. I had most of those things set up on my palm first, but now that they're on google, I thought it would be nice to have a way to keep them all in sync without having to enter data multiple times. A nifty little freeware app called Remote Calendars saved my poor little fingers from having to enter everything on that little keypad all over again. It was a pain in the butt to set up, but now I simply update the google calendar, sync that data with outlook, and it all automatically syncs with my iPAQ. It's a beautiful thing really.

Contacts was a bit easier. I simply created an online Plaxo account and then synced it with all my various address books. I've even synced my google calendars on here too. The contacts needed a lot of sorting as it created a lot of multiples (since some of you had entries on my palm, in Yahoo, and in Google), but that's something I can do whenever I have a spare moment or two on the internet.


In short, when I woke up this morning and found that the final sync of data had been successful last night (it took a while to transfer over 10,000 calendar appointments) I felt as though I could finally function normally again. These are the main things that will keep me going and now I just get to spend time tweaking it to my delight. I'll probably keep you updated on that progress too!


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: