Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Absolutely Fabulous A!

Here are the rules: Comment on this entry and I will give you a letter. Write 10 words beginning with that letter in your journal, including an explanation what the word means to you and why, and then pass out letters to those who want to play along.

1. Apples: that's the first thing I thought of when I found out my letter was "a." I love apples. I could easily eat one every day (in fact, I almost do). When I was younger, I loved green apples. Especially if they were a bit sour! Now I'm a bit less picky when it comes to my apple varieties. In general, it should be fairly firm (I have a tendency to choose barely ripe fruit). I love the smell of apples. I have to walk by a fruit and veggie market to deliver work for mail and the smell of all the delicious fruits is heaven! One of my "guilty pleasures" is when I get to eat apple slices with peanut butter! It's only a guilty pleasure now because my husband hates it. So, I only get to eat it when I know we won't be around each other very much.

2. Adventure: I don't think I've had enough of this in my life yet. I'd love to do more travelling and have a few more adventures, but for the time being I'm happy with my boring adventure-less life. This is one of the reasons I love DnD and video games I guess, I get to live out some pretty cool adventures, even if it is just in my imagination.

3. Anime: How many of you knew that I have developed an anime hobby? I bet not too many! I guess my love of video games and RPG's and all things geeky kinda led me to it. But there's just so much that can be appreciated here! The different art styles that are used and how they relate to Japanese culture is just fascinating. I mean, they people who create the visuals are not constrained by the way any humans look. They can also have it look exactly the way they need to in order to create a scene and emotion. Then it gets tied all together as part of a larger story. And that's just the art! There's also the storylines, which can be pretty cool and not your usual 'western cartoon' kinda stories. That said, I get my stuff filtered by only watching things that have come recommended by people whose opinions I trust. So, there's a lot of stuff that's just crap that I just don't get exposed to. But, if you're looking for some recommendations, I've got some places you can start.

4. Art: this is one of those things that I dearly wish I was good at! I would love to be able to draw or paint or sculpt or do something like that. However, I fear my creative tendencies just don't lie in that direction. I guess I'll just stick to expressing myself though writting and my computer/organizational stuff.

5. Avatar: For those who don't know what this is, it's a little picture you can use to represent yourself visually when you are using an instant messenger (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, etc.) or posting on a message board. I have an avatar that is very special to me, because it was a gift. My wonderful husband made me a cute daisy picture with eyes. I'm going to add it to my gmail account so anyone who has my gmail should be able to see it by hovering over my name or something. Anyway, it's cute and I love it. However, I'm thinking about getting hubby to do me a new one sometime. We'll see what the two of us can come up with.

6. Anne: That's my middle name. I love it for many reasons. One, it comes from my late Grandma on my Dad's side. I think it's cool that a little piece of family history is being kept alive with me. Plus, from what I've heard about her, she was a pretty amazing lady. I'd like to make sure I do her name justice. Another cool thing about that name is that it's the name of one of the most well known Canadian icons and literary figure . . . Anne of Green Gables. We even spell our names the same way. Her spiritedness and creativity was very important to me when I was a child, even though she was just a character in a book.

7. April: The month I got married in!

8. Appendix: This is a blind-ended tube connected to the cecum (thanks wikipedia!) and I don't have one. It was taken out in one of the few truly "traumatic" experiences of my life. I was 7 and we were in a foreign country. Basically it sucked. I got to ride in an ambulance, have tubes going in and out of me, receive numerous shots, and get several enemas too. I played a bit with kids who didn't really speak English, made paper cut out patterns to put on the window, and was read James and the Giant Peach by my mom. If that doesn't sound like enough fun, I also made an embarassing discovery about why boys stick their hands down their pants.

9. Astigmatism: I have recently joined the race of four-eyed people who have to wear glasses. Well, strictly speaking I don't HAVE to wear them. But it sure makes reading signs, watching movies, and driving a whole lot easier. In fact, I was recently sitting down to watch an episode of One Piece, one of my favourite anime shows, and began giggling in delight when I realized that wearing glasses meant I didn't have to be squinting within 3 feet of the screen to read the subtitles (which are much better than listening to English dubbing).

10. Alligator: Well, I couldn't really think of anything else, so here's the last one. In general I'm a bit of tom boy (although, I sure do like make up a lot for a tom boy). When I was younger, I loved all of the typical 'boy" kinda things. So, when we went to Florida and got to visit "Gatorland" I was ecstatic. I did actually get to hold a little alligator too! However, the polaroid photo that was my only evidence has been lost for many years. So, now I can claim to have wrestled a 7 foot long alligator and no one will be any the wiser, except for the few people who read my blog. Shhhhh! Don't tell! If I can't have any real adventures, I should at least be able to make up a few interesting stories!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing addition to your blog :-) And don't worry, nobody will hear the truth about the alligators from me :-)