Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Saturday Curse

Since I started working at my current job, I took over a Saturday shift that was originally being worked by my sister-in-law (SIL). She was working 7 days a week for a while and this gave her a much needed day off. Two people work on Saturdays and my Saturday co-worker and I really enjoy our Saturday shift. Normally, Saturdays are fairly busy days. To have a weekend with less than 12 customers/transactions would be strange. It can be a little crazy at times, but we always keep a good sense of humour about it.

However, whenever my SIL and I end up working together on a Saturday, we are cursed with a mind-numbingly boring shift. It really doesn't help that she is often hung-over and more often at least exhausted from her social schedule. She doesn't seem to be very talkative. Or, must find my attempts at any kind of small-talk very boring since she never really picks up the conversation. So, much of the day is spent in relative isolation, staring at our computer screens, having the monotony being broken by the odd customer who crosses our threshold.

On the bright side, I haven't had much time lately for my beloved internet reading and now I'm all caught up again.

No comments: