Thursday, December 07, 2006

All Work and No Play . . .

Just in case my last post led anyone to believe that I'm an all work and no play kinda gal, I thought I'd do a brief follow-up. One of the best parts of being done my exam is that I can now indulge in a few things again! Yay! I've been denying myself some of my favourite entertainments and now I'm really looking forward to diving back in again.

1. Blogging! My goal for this month is focussed on family and friends and this is one way that I can keep in touch with all of you and let you know what's going on. Oh yeah, and reading them too!

2. Movies! I really love watching movies. Not just for the plot elements either. I find myself looking at the cinematographic (is that even a real word?) elements as well. I like to think about how a scene would have been different had one thing been different (the music, perspective, colouring, focal point or focal depth for example). Plus, I'm more interested in some of the director commentary. Recently we watched Serenity with the director commentary and he was pointing out a lot of the form elements that helped make a scene work. How a continuous camera angle or a different kind of camera lens really helped him create a certain effect. It was fascinating. Anyway, enough rambling! A friend and co-worker recently lent me a couple movies. I've already watched Derailed and tonight I think I'll put on North County.

3. Reading! I made myself stop reading before bed because I found I would just read after work instead of studying like I should have been. Plus, I sometimes stay up too late reading, which makes me sleepy and less likely to study the next day. In theory I also wanted to do some studying on the bus instead of reading, but I found I was more likely to sleep on the bus than study. Anyway, I'm going to re-read The Secret Garden. I haven't read it since I was young and I'm looking forward to a more educated perspective on the book.

4. Podcasts! This is my most recent media entertainment obsession. It's making it very necessary for me to pick up an MP3 player pretty darn soon! I didn't really deny myself much while studying. Only one episode of Lipgloss and Laptops because it aired the same day as my exam.

5. Video Games! I'm working on Lufia for the Gameboy Advance (although, I'm playing it on my DS). I'd really like to finish, but I know I've got a long way to go still. I'm planning on video games for the bus and reading at home. We'll see how it goes ;)

1 comment:

Kim said...

How did you like Derailed? I'm interested in hearing your perspective . . .