Thursday, November 30, 2006

Last Card

Today was a very special and momentus day! It was the day that I mailed my very last thank-you card! Even as I type this I'm panicking a bit trying to think if there's anyone whom I have forgotten about or has been left out, but I'm fairly certain everything has been mailed. It's pretty much exactly 8 months since our wedding and I don't think we did too badly.

However, if I had to do it over again, I would be WAY more organized about it. So, read my story and learn from my experience . . .

First of all, we had a billion versions of the guest list with addresses being updated and written over all the time. That meant that we got some addresses and mailed out invitations, but then wrote over the address by the time we had to send a thank-you card. If only I had Google spreadsheets then! (Actually, I did have Google spreadsheets, but we didn't really use it effectively.)

Then we also had people we wanted to send pictures to as part of the thank-you card. So, we needed to wait for the photographer. That was not a big deal. Considering the fact that our photographer has a day job and was just doing this because he's a friend, he did an awesome job and got the pictures back really fast! But, then we had to pick which pictures to send out and get the developed, which took time. Then after the initial batch of pictures got sent out, someone decided that some more people should get some pictures too. So, we had to go through the whole process over again.

The other source of confusion was how we were sending some of the thank-you cards. Some were getting hand delivered and some mailed. We didn't really have a place to check off when the cards had been successfully delivered so it was hard to see how much progress we were making and how many more we had to get out there.

In any event, I'm just glad I'm finished! The only unfortunate thing is the timing since I now get to worry about getting my holiday cards out on time. Luckily, I don't have nearly as many of those to send out!

No comments: