Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Book Review: Songs for Summer by Eva Ibbotson

I'm not going to explain the story at all for this one. I was trying to explain it to my husband yesterday in the car and it came out sounding like a bad soap opera. It really isn't that bad.

The story is set in the late 30's and early 40's and deals a lot with war politics in Europe. There are a lot of themes that get tossed around, but I don't really think they get explored as fully as they could. It had a similar tone and mood as other books I've read that are set in a similar time and era.

It's not a superb book, and it's a bit of a chick lit book when you get right down to it. I'm quite interested to read The Star of Kazan by the same author to see how it compares.

I haven't started reading another book, but I think I might re-read The Secret Garden soon. I'm going to try and make some headway on my Nintendo DS for a while.

No comments: