Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Wedding Reviewed

Short story: wedding was awesome!

Long story: We had to be at the reception place at around 10:30 because of Lance's MC duties. So, we arrived along with the bride, groom, and their families. We helped set up all the favours and went over a few general details. Then we had some time to mill about and relax. Promptly at 11:30 the doors opened for the guests and the bar also opened. Since no guests were there right at that moment, the mothers of the bride and groom decided to make use of the open bar, and I followed suite.

The guests started to trickle in and we began mingling. Most of them were from the bride's side and I hadn't really met any of them yet. I figured this is appropriate since I know many on the groom's side and start times with them are always more 'flexible.' There were at least 30 guests there when the next familiar faces walked through the door.

There was one person there that I recognized who I didn't expect to be there. It turns out Debbie's cousin Brian (Bryan?) is dating Amber Vint, a woman I've known since I was a young girl. We both go to the same church. So, she came over and chatted a bit. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Shortly after everyone arrived the food was ready to be served. It looked and tasted fabulous. I really can't do justice to the descriptions. Maybe when I've had a bit more practice with recipes and cooking I'll be able to do it justice, but for now just know that it was fabulous! My drinks for the afternoon were also quite tasty - rum and pineapple.

Debbie and Gareth, the bride and groom, had a particularly great idea for favours. Each table had a fishbowl full of a different type of candy. You were assigned to a particular candy. Each person then had a small box. After eating, we all got to make our rounds and fill our boxes with candy from each table. Well, some people got to it with gusto, so we were out of reices pieces by the time I got there. So, I got some smarties (table for the immediate family of the groom), peanut M&M's (bride's immediate family), kisses (bride and groom's table), skittles (friends table), and lots of nerds (our table!). I didn't get any Werther's, Peppermint Patties, reices pieces, gobstoppers, and I think there were one or two others as well.

The toasts were great. Not too long or overly sentimental. No inside jokes, but a few funny comments.

At about 4, we had to be out. There was an after party starting at 6 and we were bringing folding chairs. So, we had to hop in the car and get back to Langley from UBC and then out to New Westminster. Well, traffic had a few other ideas. It was a bit longer than we expected, but there weren't a lot of people at the after party right on time either.

The after party was a lot of fun too. More food and drinks! I haven't stuffed myself that badly in a long time. It really showed me that I've got to get back on a healthy diet again. But, I enjoyed it a lot.

We all realized how old we felt when we started getting tired around 8! We also spent a lot of time chatting about 'boring adult' things like real estate, work, and exercise routines. Most people were gone by about 10, which is when we loaded up the car with the chairs to take back to Langley.

We were at home, in bed, exhausted by midnight. It was a great time!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds like a fun time was had by all!