Tuesday, January 03, 2006

All Bran

I'm back with a post about fibre.  I've been a bit spotty with updating over the holidays, but things are slowly getting back as close to normal as they ever are.  Today, I begin this return to normalcy and regularity with a post about breakfast foods.

First, I'm not sure if you all know this about me or not, but I love my morning bowl of cereal.  Second, I usually do not enjoy crunchy food.  And, once I find a cereal that I like and enjoy, I'm content to stick with that cereal for months or years at a stretch.  Right now, my current combination is a bowl of bran with some mini-wheats on top for flavour.  Normally, this means some Safeway brand wheat bran.  However, the last time cereal was purchased, the name brand "All Bran" cereal was on sale for the same price as the generic, so I got to try out the more expensive stuff. 

I have to say, I'm disappointed.  The generic isn't exactly crunchy in the bowl, but it doesn't turn into an indistinguishable pile of brown mush either.  I've tried it with orange juice and milk and both liquids inevitably turn the All Bran into mush before I get a chance to enjoy it.  My one consolation is that it is also sold in small boxes, so it won't last long before I can return to my beloved generic brand of bran.

One final note about morning ingestion . . . I have a very hard time drinking water in the mornings.  Other times of the day aren't a problem, but I just need something a bit more flavourful first thing in the morning.

No comments: