Sunday, November 06, 2005

Thursday, 30 September 2004
Psoriasis Treatment - Update 1
So this may or may not be news to everyone, but I have psoriasis. I've had it for a very long time and have always struggled with it physically and emotionally. After my last doctor's visit, I am trying a new treatment and have decided to track it here. For those of you not interested, simply don't read the entries with a Psoriasis Treatment heading.

Currently I have not been using my Dovonex cream (old treatment) for close to two weeks.

First let me describe the extent of my psoriasis. I have a few spots on my right calf. Not dark red there, just scaly and pink. My thighs are pretty clear. I've got several spots on my lower back and the top of my buttocks that are quite red. There are two spots, one on each hip, that are small and pink. Deep in my bellybutton I have some that is pink. On my mid back I have a number of spots. One is about the size of a nickel. They are all pretty red. On my ribcage I have spots under my breasts as well as spots on each breast (not the ariol or nipple). These spots were responding well to the Dovonex treatments. Since discontinuing the cream they have become noticably more rough and itchy. They have also gone from a light pink to a darker pink colour. I also have psoriasis in and behind both ears and in patches all over my scalp. My scalp and ears are especially prone to itching and flaking simply because the cream can't get to them. My face occassionally gets spots around the eyebrows and sides of the nose. I also have spots under both arms that are larger but light pink.

Since discontinuing dovonex, I have noticed more itching and irritation and all my spots have darkened in colour.

Today I have started my new treatment which is a supplement sold at the pharmacy. It is called NutraSea (just type it into Google and it's very easy to find) and is not too expensive. One teaspoon a day is all you need. It is made from super concentrated fish oil. This fish oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids, which are very beneficial to psoriasis sufferers (and a number of other people as well). It is supposed to have a light lemon flavour. It does taste very lightly like lemon. There is no over-riding fish flavour (thank heavens or I wouldn't be able to stomach it). There is a slightly fishy aftertaste though. However, I am having my teaspoon immediately before breakfast, so the aftertaste is soon conquered by my tasty mini-wheats!

That's all for now. I'll probably do more entries on it in the future.

No comments: