Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Book Review: Bridget Jones' Diary

The book is definitely better than the movie. That said, I've come to an uncomfortable realization about why I'm drawn to the book and the movie. I use it to feel better about myself. Bridget (for those who don't know) basically can be seen as the poster child for how not to live your life. But, she still manages to end up ok. So, I get to feel good about myself because she is so much more messed up than I am, yet she's still ok, so I must be great in comparison. If she can manage to get a decent job and muddle through, then I will be able to get a pretty good job and be competent at it. It's a sick sort of "anything you can do, I can do better" craving I develop sometimes.

Now that confession is out of the way, I can go into a bit more detail about why I liked the book. Some of it was quite funny and different from the movie. The writing and voice of the book is quite modern and addictive (I found myself emulating the choppy rhythm of it). It's a good little read, although nothing earth shattering or phenomenal.

No comments: