Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Book Review: Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman by Gail Evans

Before I begin my book review, let me start by writing
a little bit about the beginning of my day . . .

I actually managed to get up early and because I found
my gloves yesterday, my hands were nice and warm all
the way to work. Still foggy, but no rain means I can
read in the bus line without a problem. So, things
were looking pretty good. Then I get to work and the
janitor's threw out my water bottle that I was going
to use today. So, now I have to spend the rest of the
day drinking out of a styrofoam cup. I'm surprised
they left my other stuff alone.

So, now the book review . . .

Gail Evans two books were fairly similar. This one
goes over some basic 'rules' that apparently come more
naturally to men than women. A lot of them made
sense. For example, men seem to be more willing to
speak up and express their ideas than women are. The
book also went through some areas of inequality and
double standards. Basically, if a man does it, it's
ok. If a woman does it, it's not ok. A lot of these
points were valid, but I also think they are changing
as younger generations continue to move up through the
corporate world.

The book was well written and well organized. Because
I just read her other book, it did seem to be a bit
repetitive. However, a lot of it was just good common
sense rules of business.

What I'm taking away from this book . . . I've got to
speak my mind more and apologize less. I don't know
why I feel sorry if your dog is sick. I'm fairly
certain that nothing I have done has had any influence
on the health of your pet, and yet, I still seem to
take responsibility by saying 'I'm sorry.' Let's help
this phrase keep its meaning by not overusing it. If
we are so unimaginative that this is the only phrase
we can come up with, then we need to practice our
conversation skills a bit more.

I'm reading yet another business related book right
now. It's called Wildly Sophisticated. So far there
isn't anything too new to the book. The neat feature
that she has that's missing from the other book is
based on the layout of the material. For each
different issue we need to ask ourselves about,
there's a box full of questions you can actually ask
yourself. So instead of just suggesting we explore
our passions and understand what interests us, there
is a list of questions to help us figure it out.
Anyway, we'll see how this book is. I've got one
other business type book on hold after this one, and
then I think I've reached my saturation point for this
particular genre at this particular time.

So, if you have any suggestions for a genre to tackle
next, just let me know. Try to be specific though!
Just saying, how about some fiction, won't really help
me narrow down my options much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's my suggestion for a new genre to try . . . chick lit! It's fun and a good way to see how women in the business world interact in a fictional situation :-) Seriously, try anything by Sheila O'Flanagan, Meg Cabot (not the Princess series, but her adult stuff), Sophie Kinsella, or Jill Mansell. I have lots of chick lit so you can borrow some of mine :-)

Jenn said...

Actually, Bridget Jones's Diary was suggested by the author I'm currently reading. I don't suppose you have that book?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do have Bridget Jones's Diary! Am I good, or what? I will throw it in my bag and pass it on to you the next time I see you :-)